Dear Cape Fear Family Law:

I left my husband last week and moved into an apartment.  I paid for it by taking ½ of the funds that were in our bank account, but my husband moved the remaining money.  The funds I took are down to less than $3,000.00 and I will not be able to live for long on that amount.  I work, but only part-time.  How can I get my husband to pay support and help me live?  He won’t give me any money!

-Need some money!!



Dear Need some money!!:

Alimony may be an option for you, however there are a number of factors.  First you must be a dependent spouse, earning less than your husband.  Next, the length of the marriage is a factor.  Finally, if you are dating a new man, that is likely to be adultery.  Adultery is a bar to alimony unless your husband is also committing adultery.  There are other factors so I suggest that you see an attorney immediately so that they can help you negotiate or file a lawsuit to ensure you get funds before your situation becomes dire or desperate.  Best of luck!



The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information above is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. This answer is provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.