Dear Cape Fear Family Law:

I am supposed to co-parent with my ex, but he is impossible.  He constantly tells the children things they should not know – how much I receive in child support, that I have a new boyfriend, or things about our marriage that are in the past.  How do you parent with someone that hates you?  Can the court help me shut him up?

-Duct Tape Needed



Dear Duct Tape Needed:

It is amazingly difficult to co-parent with someone that is involving the children in disputes they have with you. I hope you have enrolled your children in counseling so they can learn to cope and handle his negative behavior.  Court may be an option, if you need the court to order him to participate in counseling, etc. However, sometimes we just have to cope with negative parenting, try to parallel parent instead of co-parenting, and get counseling advice. Talk to an attorney about your options and stay positive.



The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information above is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. This answer is provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.